Do you see the phrases dairy free, nut free, sugar free and gluten free and think well what else is there – thin air?
If the answer is yes (ok and even if it’s no) I have a yummy little treat for you that hopefully will prove that assumption wrong! With only a few ingredients and ideal as treats for little hands this recipe is perfect for everyone.
It actually came about a month or so ago as I’ve been trying to come up with different dairy and nut free treats (as I know this will become an issue one day, luckily for us not now!) for the girls, with less sweetener. I created these and they loved them!
I put the recipe on the shelf for awhile as quite frankly I became obsessed with chocolate (I think you guys did too!). Then we went strawberry picking with the girls and some friends a little while ago (which I recommend for all you Perth peeps!) – and consequently had mountains of strawberries to use up! So I went back into my little torn up handwritten recipe book and pulled this one out.
I have made a note below about the sweetness, so please have a read if you are transitioning away from store brought foods.
- 160g desiccated coconut (plus extra for rolling)
- 80g sunflower seeds
- 130 to 150g strawberries (around 7 to 10)
- 30g rice malt syrup (or honey if you aren’t going for fructose free)
- Place all ingredients in the Thermomix bowl. Mix spd 7, 10 seconds. Scrape and repeat if needed (this depends on what you or your children like – if you don’t mind a “fuller” texture then you may not need to process it again! We like it a bit smoother).
- Roll mixture into balls, drop into a bowl filled with desiccated coconut and cover.
- Store in the fridge (they taste better once they are cold!).
This makes about 40 balls (if made on the smaller side)
As we don’t eat a lot of sugar, these are not very sweet – if starting out on the whole low sugar thing or switching from packet foods then please add more sweetener initially and cut down!
Add in some cashews in place of the nuts if that’s not a concern.