As the topic for this month’s “Your New Normal” is reducing our waste, I’ve put together a post with some easy ways we can all make a difference in this area. These changes are all just habit based – things we do all the time without thinking, as that’s the “norm” now.
Good news is – with a little thought, we can easily make the changes!
5 Easy ways to reduce your waste
- Plastic bags (shopping bags) – ok I’m cheating a little here as I’ve already mentioned it in my “your new normal series” for April, however it is such a simple way to reduce our plastic usage. Carry your own reusable bags (keep them in the car and one in your handbag) and say no to plastic bags where possible – ESPECIALLY for one or two items. Totally unnecessary.
- Plastic bags (fruit & vege bags) – when buying fruit and vege, think about whether you really need to put your four onions in a plastic bag. The answer is actually, no. No you don’t.
- Gladwrap – another thing we use that has become such a habit most of us don’t even think about it! Save the waste of plastic and purchase some reusable food covers or beeswax wraps – yes they are expensive initially but will repay themselves over time!
- Reuse containers – save the jars (note I said “jars” – not plastic containers to reuse, avoid plastic if you can!) of any foods or goods that you buy and use them again. For example, I buy an organic pasta sauce (great for a quick meal if you need it!) that comes in a nice little jar – I wash the jar, remove the label and use it to store food that I make! The bonus here is that it will save you money in buying containers.
- Pantry items – if you can find somewhere to purchase loose pantry items (nuts, coconut etc) then take advantage of that. Some places (such as Manna Wholefoods in WA) let you fill your own container or use paper bags.
I hope these tips have made you think there are some easy things you could do right now to reduce the amount of waste you produce. Have I made you think about it at all? Will you be making any changes?
I’d love to know your tips as well – so go on, hit me with them…!
Welcome to…Wellness Wednesday!!!
It’s also time for another Wellness Wednesday! Every Wednesday, myself and the lovely Dr Sash over at From The Left Field open a link up and we’d love to see your wellness posts! Anything from clean eating, to fitness, to taking care of your body, taking care of your mind, taking care of the kids, whatever makes you feel good and keeps you well. Simply post your fave wellness post for the week. Sound good? Come join us! x