I love pesto – and this recipe for Basil Pesto is so quick and simple. It’s also easy to make substitutions if you don’t have everything on hand. Best of all, it has lots of uses:
* A dip – cut up some carrots and have them in your fridge so you can grab a quick snack
* Note – this is good for little ones as well, Miss H loves it!
* Dinner or lunch – cook up some pasta (normal, vegetable or gluten free depending on your preference!) or make vegetable noodles and stir through for a 10 minute meal
* Breakfast – stir some pesto through scrambled eggs for something different!
Make some over the weekend and you will have a “go-to” snack, breakfast or dinner ready for the week! The recipe below is for a Thermomix, but of course you could make it in a food processor.
- 40g parmesan cheese
- 3 garlic cloves (small ones, 2 if large)
- 160g nuts – I use a combination of pine nuts, cashews & macadamias
- 4 sprigs fresh basil (leaves only)
- 20g spinach or kale (or a mix of both)
- 120g olive oil
- Place parmesan and garlic into the bowl. Grate spd 9, 10 seconds.
- Add nuts, basil and spinach (or kale). Chop spd 6, 10 seconds.
- Pour olive oil into the machine whilst running on spd 4.
The olive oil is preference really – just add it until you have the desired consistency.
Try different nuts or seeds in that portion of the recipe – for example add sunflower seeds.